Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Biblical Principles (Part 2) - A Meandering Journey



Last post we talked about what Biblical principles are.  

I want to warn you that this post is more personal and contains nothing particularly profitable, so you may not want to spend the time to read it.  I wrote it for me.  The Biblical principles on how wives can get their husbands to get them new furniture will have to wait.  I just kinda wrote my thoughts and rambled on.  (What’s funny about this paragraph, in light of what I wrote below, is the fact that I equate profitability with the presence of significant and well communicated principles – because this post has no principles, I think of it being unprofitable.  J

I have studied and taught Biblical principles ever since I could walk as a baby Christian.  The first Sunday morning teaching I did was on the principles of tithing and giving and why it would be a great blessing to your life to tithe.  As a person who works in engineering, this is my bent to see things in cause and effect terms.  As a male, I am a problem solver, so I am looking for Biblical ways to solve problems.  As a sinner, I am looking for what works for me.  As a proud person, I want my life finally come together and work, so I can feel like I am not the messed up, broken down, undisciplined person that I am. 

To me, Biblical principles had to be the key to progress.  There just had to be a way to get my life together.  Certainly all the Christian authors and teachers espoused that.  After all, most of the books I read were espousing the principle driven life.  Then the King of Principles comes along – Bill Gothard.  He is like crack for my principally thirsty soul.  He takes principles to a whole new level, with standards to go with them.  He is the master of “non-optional principles”, of “keys to success” and helpful information.   

One of my first song rewrites was “Sweet Betsy of ATI” which described a trip to an ATI conference.  I think it captures the spirit of being inundated with materials and thinking “this year we’ll get it together.”  (Before we crucify Bill Gothard, however, let us realize that these verses have the spirit of about any homeschool conference that I have ever been to – “programs and materials are the key to getting your homeschool life together.")

Anyway, here’s part of the song…

Have you ever heard of sweet Betsy from Pike,
Who home schooled her children with her husband Ike?
They signed on with ATI; they never knew
What Jesus had gotten their family into.

They got all their booklets and planners and such.
Said Ike, “I think, Betsy, this is a bit much.
It seems we have bitten more than we can chew.”
But Betsy said, “No other program will do.”

They did all their worksheets, resources and more.
They looked for new rhemas each morning at four.
The kids all did projects; they learned Matthew Five.
They started to wonder how long they’d survive.

In early November they finally gave out.
They cried out to God to supply a way out.
He said, “Up to Knoxville in June you must go
For help and refreshment from all of this woe.”

(A number of verses about the trip, then at the conference…)

They heard twenty teachings on all kinds of stuff,
And Betsy thought she just could not get enough.
She filled up two notebooks, but wrote it so fast,
They had to put Betsy’s right hand in a cast.

They heard Mr. Gothard and Ike was so glad
For a thirty point teaching on being a dad.
They were strengthened, encouraged and ready to go,
And Ike felt that they could defeat any foe.

Ike cried to Betsy, “Sweet wife, never fear!
I think we can go back and try one more year.
We’re armed with great teaching and tons of God’s grace,
And our home will be known as the World’s Greatest Place.”

So they headed on back to start over once more
With booklets, resources and worksheets galore.
And Ike started singing when Betsy surmised,
“It will be worth it all when we see Christ!”

So Bill and I, we were a match made in heaven.  And the standards part lined up perfectly with Sue’s natural approach to child raising, so we were in.  I was now armed and dangerous and could principle myself and others to death.

However, despite all the study, the teachings, the lists, the principles and the bullet points, one principle I see in my life is this: principles don’t bring change.  I get this sad, heavy, weeping spirit when I look at my old journals – and many of my not-so-old journals.  They are brimming with continual striving and searching for principles and for discipline and control and change.  And over the 30 years since becoming a Christian, my principles and striving have gotten me nowhere.  I even have a “Principles of Change” piece I wrote.  And in all the ways that I wanted to change over the years, I am basically still the same person.  I read my journals and think, “You poor, misguided soul.  Why did you waste all that time on that which was not profitable?”

But thanks be to God, who always leads us in His triumph in Christ!  There’s hope!  

But I’m going to bed right now.  Maybe we’ll talk some more on my next post.

1 comment:

  1. This is quite a post. Scary. But dead on true.
    I'm so thankful for grace. And God's transforming grace!!
    Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete